We believe that all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, ability, or orientation, have a place in our downtown, are welcome, heard, and have a voice.
We are committed to uplifting those who have historically been oppressed and marginalized.
We put our beliefs into action by:
- Leading a diverse and inclusive organization that values the equitable treatment of individuals and does not tolerate discrimination of any kind
- Actively recruiting & supporting board members who represent the diversity of our community
- Sharing our equity values with the Downtown Association of Santa Cruz members and broader community
- Recruiting, supporting, & showcasing BIPOC-owned businesses
- Consistently examine our practices.
How we can strive towards Equity:
- Survey the Downtown Association of Santa Cruz to determine areas in which we have successfully demonstrated Diversity, Equity and Inclusion values and where/how we can improve
- Create a strategy and actionable items based on survey results
- Conduct bi-annual or annual follow up to track progress
- Outreach to current BIPOC owned/managed businesses to best understand what they need from our organization.
- Be patient
- Learn together
- Create an equity committee that meets a few times a year
- Apply equity to everyday decisions (suppliers, recruitment & employment, marketing, etc.).