Dates and Times for this Past Event
- Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Thursday, Apr 16, 2020 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Thursday, Apr 9, 2020 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Thursday, Apr 2, 2020 6:00PM - 8:00PM
Love the idea of moving closer to a zero waste lifestyle, but don't know where to begin? In this 5 week course, we will be making everything you need to get started on your zero waste journey, from all natural DIY cleaning products to beautiful plastic free body care. Through creativity, ingenuity and inspiring community we can bring health and healing to ourselves and the planet.
A materials fee of $30 is due to the teacher at the first class.
Thursdays 6 - 8pm, April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Week 1: You will learn about the basic principles of zero waste - the 5 R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rot (compost). This week will focus on the first R: Refuse. As we talk and learn, we will create your zero waste kitchen kit including all natural dish soap, dishwasher detergent and counter cleaner in repurposed/reusable containers.
- Week 2: This week we will learn about the 2nd R: Reduce. We will examine how we can use our creativity and resourcefulness to buy, use and consume less. This week’s craft will be making beautiful upcycled produce bags so you’re ready for your next zero waste shopping adventure.
- Week 3: The zero waste focus will be the 3rd R: Reuse. Let’s get our creative juices flowing as we re-imagine the useful life of everyday products. This week we will make your basic body care kit including all natural toothpaste, sunscreen and deodorant in reusable packaging.
- Week 4: This week we will focus on the 4th R: Recycle. We will learn how to be amazing recyclers - gaining clarity about what can really be recycled and what can’t here in Santa Cruz County. Our crafty project for the week will be all natural laundry detergent in a reusable vessel.
- Week 5: The final R: Rot (compost). Let’s talk dirt! This week we will demystify the world of home composting and get excited about transforming waste into something useful and beneficial for the planet. And as we envision how our veggie scraps and paper products can become food for the worms, we will make gorgeous and useful art out of found materials. Possibilities include earrings, bracelets, picture frames and more.